Timothy Wheaton is a combat sports writer who covers MMA, Kickboxing, and Muay Thai. Tim is the authority on kickboxing and combat sports journalist who has covered K-1, PRIDE FC, UFC, GLORY Kickboxing, Bellator, ONE Championship, and plenty more.
A Muay Thai switch kick is when a Nak Muay brings their rear foot forward and kicks one’s opponent with their lead foot. In this guide, we have assembled some of the top fighters in Muay Thai to speak on how best to deliver a switch kick.
- A How To Guide – Muay Thai Switch Kick
- See a Muay Thai Switch Kick in Action
A How To Guide – Muay Thai Switch Kick
Muay Femur, Nong-O Gaiyanghadao is one of the foremost experts on how to best perform Muay Thai techniques with perfect skill. This Nak Muay has collected world titles in Rajadamnern and Lumpinee Stadium along with ONE Championship and several others. With over 260 professional career victories and nearly 20 years as a professional fighter, he is the authority on how to deliver strikes in a match. He has put together multiple guides on the Muay Thai switch kick.
How to Throw a Muay Thai Switch Kick
Steps on how to deliver a Muay Thai switch kick from Nong-O Gaiyanghadao. He calls this one “The Knockout Switch Kick.” On Evolve MMA’s YouTube, Nong-O explains:
- Stay light on your front foot.
- Skip into your stance switch. Make sure to keep your weight on the balls of your feet. When switching your stance, swing your rear arm down and swing your lead arm up across your body.
- Explode up onto the ball of your lead foot and turn into the kick. Make sure to swing your lead arm down and rotate your hips.
“Muay Thai: How To Throw A Switch Kick | Evolve University. In this video, multiple-time Muay Thai World Nong-O Gaiyanghadao from the EVOLVE Fight Team demonstrates how to throw a switch kick.”
Above are the basic steps, here is a little bit more in-depth. Also from Nong-O, featuring Sam-A Gaiyanghadao, on Evolve MMA’s YouTube. He said:
- Start from your stance.
- Do a quick skip to switch your rear leg forward.
- Throw the rear kick while you rotate on the ball of your new lead foot.
- Ensure you are thrusting your hip forward as you rotate your hip and shoulder for the kick.
- Keep your lead arm up while swinging your rear arm downwards for balance and power.
- Keep your eyes on the target and your chin down.
- Aim for the impact of the kick to be on your lower shin.
- Follow through and immediately return to your original stance.
“Muay Thai | How To Throw A Switch Kick. Multiple-time Muay Thai World Champions Nong-O Gaiyanghadao and Sam-A Gaiyanghadao from the EVOLVE Fight Team show us how to throw a switch kick!”
How to Throw a Jump Roundhouse Muay Thai Switch Kick
Nong-O, alongside Panpayak Jitmuangnon, with Evolve MMA on YouTube explains the jump roundhouse Muay Thai Switch Kick, he says:
- To execute a jump switch roundhouse kick, lift your lead leg to your stomach to generate momentum for the switch.
- Immediately push off your with your back foot as you drop your lead leg to execute the rear roundhouse kick in mid-air.
- Turn your hip to angle your rear shin towards the opponent’s body as you push off with your rear foot.
- Swing your rear arm down while keeping your lead hand up to generate power into the kick.
- Following through with the kick by fully rotating your hip and lead foot.
“Muay Thai | How To Execute A Jump Switch Roundhouse Kick – Multiple-time Muay Thai World Champions Nong-O Gaiyanghadao and Panpayak Jitmuangnon from the EVOLVE Fight Team show us how to execute a jump switch roundhouse kick.“
How to Throw a Jump Push Muay Thai Switch Kick
Nong-O and Panpayak on Evolve MMA’s YouTube, explain how to throw a Muay Thai switch kick with a jump and push. He said:
- To perform a jump switch push kick, start by lifting your lead leg to your stomach to create momentum for the switch.
- In this position, immediately hop forward with your rear leg to close the distance and execute a rear push kick.
- As you execute the push kick, extend your rear leg while dropping your lead leg to the ground.
- Swing your rear arm down and bring your lead hand up to your face.
- Follow throw on the jump switch push kick by targeting with the ball of the foot.
Muay Thai | How To Execute A Jump Switch Push Kick. 👑 Multiple-time Muay Thai World Champions Nong-O Gaiyanghadao and Panpayak Jitmuangnon from the EVOLVE Fight Team show us how to execute a jump switch push kick.”
How to Throw a Switch Knee
A switch knee is just as vital as learning a Muay Thai switch kick. Evolve MMA on YouTube and Kwankhao Mor. Rattanbandit explains the steps:
- Execute a sitch step forward and diagonally out with your rear leg.
- Lean your weight forward onto your rear foot and keep your rear arm close to the face while swinging your lead arm down.
- Thrust your switch knee up straight into the stomach/chest area.
- As your thrust your knee up, keep the toes pointed down and slightly lean back.
- To generate more power, thrust your hips forward and be on the ball of the post leg as your knee.
“Muay Thai | How To Execute A Switch Knee. Muay Thai World Champions Kwankhao Mor. Rattanabandit and Ongree Sor Dechapant from the EVOLVE Fight Team show us how to execute a switch knee!”
How to throw a Muay Thai Switch Kick – Liam Harrison
‘The Hitman’ Liam Harrison is a UK-based Muay Thai striker who carries power in each limb. Harrison has collected multiple world titles in Muay Thai and kickboxing over his 20 years as a professional fighter. In that time, ‘The Hitman’ has put together TKO victories by using just leg kicks.
Today he is a fighter and a coach who hosts seminars and gives expert instructionals. He recently shared tips on how to throw a switch kick.
“Your footwork is very important. What you don’t want to be doing when you’re doing the switch is, one, going too long, so then you have to having to kick up a little bit and end up off balancing yourself. And two, when you switch don’t have your right foot facing forward. What I like to do, as I switch, I want my right foot almost facing out to the right. So as I pivot it’s just easier to go around.”Liam Harrison
The UK-born fighter continued, after reminding viewers to not switch their legs too wide, he said:
“The switch has got to be narrow. And you’ve got to be on your toes so you can spring into the kick. As I switch my left hand will come across the front of my face. So I can pull a whip. My shoulder, my knee, and my shin all turn in a line together, and that’s where the power is going to come from.”
In the Muay Thai Switch Kick demonstration, Liam Harrison explained:
“As I switch, my right leg is facing out this way. Imagine a clock in front of you. I want it facing toward number one or two. So it’s easier to pivot around to three when I’m going to kick. “
“HOW To SWITCH KICK | By Liam Harrison | Full Breakdown. Breakdown of a switch left kick, covering stance, foot and arm positioning to maximize power.”
See a Muay Thai Switch Kick in Action
‘The Iron Man’ Rodtang Jitmuangnon is a Muay Thai prodigy. This Thai-born athlete has earned over 270 victories in his Muay Thai and kickboxing career and he is merely the age of 25. In kickboxing, he fought the undefeated phenom Tenshin Nasukawa to a draw before going to extension rounds. In Muay Thai, is the ONE Flyweight Muay Thai World Championship with multiple defenses plus has been awarded numerous fight of the year awards from Rajadamnern Stadium.
Rodtang is best known as a puncher, Muay Mat, however, he also has a highly dangerous kicking game. In his match against Sok Thy, ‘The Iron man’ brutalized his opponent’s body and legs with thunderous kicks. The Muay Thai bruiser also used many switch kicks in this match. Look at 0:58 for example.
CRUSHING LEG KICKS 🥶🦵 Rodtang Jitmuangnon vs. Sok Thy | Full Fight
Chandej Sor Prantalay was a Muay Thai fighter from the early 1990s, the golden era of Muay Thai, who was famed for his Muay Thai switch kick. See below for a video with him landing lighting fast switch kicks. Look at 3:19 for example.
Chandej Sor Prantalay vs Dida Diafat | Muay Thai
Both Saenchai and Onjen Topic are known for their large array of kicks. In their matchup, fans were treated to a series of various kick strikes, including Muay Thai switch kicks. Look at Onjen Topic’s kick at 8:28 of the following video.
YOKKAO 22 Hong Kong: Saenchai vs Ognjen Topic – Muay Thai Full Rules -65kg
A Muay Thai switch kick is a strong, key element that each Nak Muay should have in their arsenal. It is a useful tool whether a fighter is getting ready for a Muay Thai, Kickboxing, or Mixed Martial Arts match. The switch is a strong technique to master. Make sure to check out Muay Thai Basics, Muay Thai Combos, Muay Thai Techniques, and plenty more.